Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sometimes I do some simple basics, not only because we live on simple basics around here, but also because I know a lot of cooks who need the basics. Any student needs the basics in order to have a good foundation. This one is for my beginners. I love you guys! Cream of Wheat made from the whole grain at home, is nutritionally the best option. I think the flavor is off the charts. There isn't a hint of bitterness from rancid old ground wheat if you make it fresh. It's sweeter from the fresh wheat. It has all the benefits of whole grain! I know my kids are more apt to eat it if they help grind it. It's a funny thing. The other plus? Hard White Wheat Berries Organic 25 lb Bag for 40$. That makes 15 servings of hot cereal per pound. How's that for cheap healthy eats?! This same method can be used for any of these:
 Rye Berries Organic 25 lb Bag
 Spelt Berries Organic 25 lb Bag 
 Spelt Berries Organic 5 lb Bag
 Pearled Barley 2.5 lbs 

Here's my hand grinder.WonderMill Junior Deluxe 
WonderMill Junior Deluxe

WonderMill Junior Deluxe

:
I love hard white wheat, but red would work here. You could also add other grains like barley. Malt-o-meal is just that...barley and wheat. They toast the barley before they grind it.
I grind it once on a rough setting. If I cooked it at this point it would be called "cracked wheat". It's much more coarse, but a wonderful texture.
I run it through the mill on a finer setting. Did I mention my kids love to watch this process? Especially if I say things like "stop...save me! I'm too devastatingly beautiful to be put through the grinder". They laugh hysterically.
At this point, it looks like commercially prepared cream of wheat.
I like my cream of wheat not too thick and not to thin. Call me Goldie-locks. It takes 1/3 cup of the cream of wheat to 1 cup of water. I also use a pinch of sea salt.
Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the cream of wheat in a stream, whisking with a whisk. Stir for 5-7 minutes until thick. It will look like this...
Serve with honey and cinnamon if you want or enjoy the savory version with pepper and butter.

Simple basics. There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment