Friday, November 27, 2009

Tracey's Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Bread Recipe
Whole Wheat Bread
I've had a couple of people ask me for my bread recipe. This is a recipe adapted from The Enlightened Homemaker's Bread recipe. Early in our marriage while Troy and I were working on our food storage, I decided that I need to learn how to use what I was storing. One of the first things I decided to learn, was how to make bread using whole wheat. It was a disaster.
It took a lot of practice to get fairly decent bread. I think there are a couple of reasons my bread now works. One reason is the quality of the ingredients. I use the Wheat Montana Prarie Gold wheat, SAF Instant yeast and vital wheat gluten. I also give credit to my Bosch for all the kneading it does. I wasn't sure I was ever going to be successful at making wheat bread I wasn't ready to spend the money on a bosch universal mixer, so I bought a Bosch Compact. The Bosch Compact only makes 2-3 loves of bread, which was more then enough bread for a family of three.

2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
5 cup hot water
5 cup whole wheat flour (Prairie Gold is best)
Mix the above ingredients then add:
3 Tbsp. yeast (SAF Instant is best)
3 cup whole wheat flour (Prairie Gold is Best)
1 Tbsp salt
Mix then add flour one cup at a time until dough pulls clean from sides, about 3 more cups total. Mix for 6 minutes in machine. Shape into loaves. Place loaves in cold oven then turn the oven on to 170. It will take about 20-25 minutes for bread to double in size. After bread has doubled, turn oven up to 350 and bake bread for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment